Annatjie Pretorius initially called for help over the emergency channel of the local community policing forum (CPF) radio in the early hours of Monday morning.
Her neighbours and friends rushed to her aid and tried to douse the flames with a hose before the fire brigade arrived on the scene, but their efforts were in vain, the paper reported.
Pretorius’s neighbour, Graham Swanepoel, said the flames were so high that no one could enter the house.
“The firemen probably hammered for about five minutes with a big hammer against the master bedroom’s burglar bars to try and break them.”
According to the local fire chief, Hannes Steyn, a preliminary investigation indicated that there was a power problem in the house and that the fire was caused by a short circuit. – Sapa