A source familiar with the investigation – who cannot be named as he isn’t authorised to speak to the media – said the 40-year-old was accused of having raped more than 50 schoolgirls between the ages of 6 and 12.
Some of the counts against him include kidnapping and assault.
The accused had been in custody since his arrest on July 11 last year.
His arrest came shortly after he was released from custody on a matter not related to rape.
It is understood police are still investigating more cases, which are said to have linked the man to incidents in other parts of Gauteng.
The accused, who cannot be named before he pleads to the charges, was expected to appear in the Protea Magistrate’s Court on Thursday morning.
The Star understood on Wednesday that the matter would be postponed to next month for further investigations.
Gauteng provincial police spokeswoman Captain Doniah Mothutsane confirmed that the accused was facing rape charges but could not state the exact number.
“(Sometimes, he would) claim that his child lived at a particular house, asking the children for directions or to enter those houses to call the child – (only for the child) to find out that it was just a formulated story that would make him lead the children elsewhere, mostly into the veld,” the source said.
The Tembisa man faces more charges than Mongezi Samuel Jingxela, South Africa’s worst serial rapist.
Jingxela was found guilty and imprisoned in 2010 of having committed 66 rapes within 10 years.
He lured his women victims under the pretext that he would employ them at a factory.
Last year, Sifiso Makhubo, also from Ekurhuleni, was found dead in a Johannesburg Prison cell, hours before he was due to stand trial.
Makhubo was accused of raping 33 girls and two women.
Prosecutors were planning to charge the HIV-positive man with attempted murder – the first time they would have done so in a case in which someone had committed rape knowing his HIV status.
Source: The Star