More than six million traffic fines issued to Gauteng motorists between April 2009 and December 2012 have been cancelled by the Johannesburg metro police department.
JMPD director Gerrie Gerneke told reporters yesterday that fines issued during this period would no longer affect licensing processes.
Drivers would not be pulled over at roadblocks in connection with them, he said.
“The cases have been taken off the system and marked as ‘finalised’ with a special code.”
Last month, the JMPD announced it had complied with the public protector’s proposed remedial action for issuing infringement notices via ordinary mail instead of registered mail.
On December 18, Public Protector Thuli Madonsela said in a report that the JMPD had acted improperly. The fines did not comply with the Administrative Adjudication of Road Traffic Offences (Aarto) Act, she said in her report.
“The acts of the JMPD accordingly constitute improper conduct and maladministration,” she said.