State security services stopped a second Cape Town teenager from absconding to join the Islamic State group, South African State Security Minister David Mahlobo confirmed on Tuesday.
“Yes, we know about that one,” Mahlobo told ANA when asked about the high school girl from Grassy Park.
He said she was apprehended at Cape Town International Airport last month following a tip-off.
“The nice thing is that we are acting before these things happen,” he added.
“There are certain communities that are being targeted.”
It is understood that security services and the Hawks were in part acting on information given by a 15-year-old girl from Kenwyn who admitted that she was planning to join the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (IS) after she was taken off a flight from Cape Town to OR Tambo on Easter Sunday. The girls are believed to be friends, and tried to leave the country within 10 days of each other.
The incident has seen Mahlobo warn repeatedly that parents should monitor their children’s internet usage, as he did again at a media briefing ahead of his ministry’s budget debate in Parliament on Tuesday.
However, intelligence sources said they are also investigating the physical presence of recruiters for the jihadist group in the country.
Mahlobo said security agencies were being highly vigilant on the issue of recruitment by fundamentalist groups and staying in close contact with communities who are considered targets.