Police in the Western Cape are investigating two cases of murder following the petrol bombing of a double-decker bus that killed two passengers on Tuesday night in Strand.
Police spokeswoman Constable Noloyiso Rwexana said several cases of attempted murder were also being investigated.
“According to the reports, a bus traveling on the Onverwacht Street, Lwandle was thrown with petrol bombs. Two people were fatally injured and about 11 people are injured,” said Rwexana.
“The circumstances surrounding this incident are being investigated. Cases of murder and attempted murder are under investigation. No one has been arrested at this stage.”
ER24 spokesman Werner Vermaak said that apart from the two men who died, there were 32 passengers who were injured in the petrol bomb attack.
Earlier in the evening, the City of Cape Town’s mayoral committee member for safety and security, Jean-Pierre Smith, said two fire engines and a rescue vehicle were dispatched to extinguish a fire caused by the petrol bomb attack.
He said their emergency services treated four people who had sustained critical burn wounds on the scene, before transporting them to hospital.
Scores of other passengers seated on the top deck of the bus were also being treated for burn wounds at various hospitals.
“It’s madness. It’s just too horrible. This is a long distance bus…and somewhere there is a mother or daughter or sister waiting for these two men who burnt to death,” Smith said.
“Whatever the motives of this deranged person of persons are that threw this petrol bomb, it’s too awful for words and I hope SAPS [SA Police Service] catch them quickly.
InterCape released a short statement after the attack confirming “one of its coaches was petrol bombed in Strand”.
“The incident is being investigated and the motive for this horrendous attack is not yet clear,” the long distance bus company said.