Winnie Mandela arrives at Medi-clinic Heart Hospital in Pretoria

Winnie Mandela

Nelson Mandela’s ex-wife, ANC MP Winnie Madikizela-Mandela arrived on Tuesday at the Pretoria hospital where the ailing elder statesman is believed to be receiving treatment.

She and her daughter Zindzi arrived after 3pm in a black Audi, escorted by a white Mercedes-Benz. Photographers tried to take photos of them through the car’s tinted windows.

Earlier, the other two of Mandela’s three surviving children arrived at the hospital in separate cars.

Makaziwe Mandela’s red Range Rover drove past numerous police officers at the hospital’s entrance. Her car was followed by that of Zenani Mandela, South Africa’s ambassador to Argentina.

This was Mandela’s fourth day in hospital.

The presidency said on Tuesday that the doctors treating Mandela had given President Jacob Zuma a thorough briefing on Monday night.

“President Zuma has full confidence in the medical team, and is satisfied that they are doing their best to make Madiba better,” spokesman Mac Maharaj said in a statement.

Mandela was still in a “serious but stable” condition.

Maharaj dismissed media reports that Zuma would visit Mandela on Tuesday.

“That is incorrect. The president is in Cape Town preparing for the budget vote of the presidency,” he said.

On Saturday, the presidency announced that Mandela had been admitted to hospital in the early hours of the morning.

On Monday, the presidency said his condition was unchanged, and that he was receiving intensive care.

Security at the hospital, in Arcadia, was tightened, with police officers manning its two entrances.

Brigadier Phuti Setati earlier said the police at the hospital were part of the presidential protection services team, whose task included protecting former presidents.

He did not specifically confirm that Mandela was in the hospital.

Local and international media have camped outside the facility, and at Mandela’s Houghton, Johannesburg, home since Saturday.

People continued leaving messages of support outside his home on Tuesday.

A couple wearing T-shirts bearing the words “We love you Papa Mandela” and “We love you Papa Madiba” placed a teddy bear in a similar T-shirt at one of the sunken pot plants, where others had left messages of support on stones.

A boy in school uniform hopped out of a car opposite the house’s gate to leave a large red envelope filled with letters, wishing Madiba the best, from a Grade Five class at the King Edward VII Preparatory School.

On Tuesday morning, a group of children from the Rainbow Hill Christian School in Orange Grove arrived at the house and sang “Get well Tata Mandela, get well”.

This is the third time this year the Nobel Peace Prize laureate has been hospitalised.

At the end of March and in April, he spent nine days in hospital receiving treatment for recurring lung problems.

Earlier in March, he was admitted to a Pretoria hospital for a scheduled check-up and was discharged the following day. – Sapa