The High Court in Pretoria will rule on Thursday in an application for leave to appeal against an interdict preventing the removal of old Pretoria street names.
Granting the interdict to lobby group AfriForum on April 19, Judge Bill Prinsloo ordered the Tshwane metro to stop removing old street names pending the conclusion of an adjudication process.
He also ordered the municipality to put back the street names it had removed.
In its appeal on Wednesday, the Tshwane municipality told the court it would have to spend over R2.6 million to re-erect the old street names.
Terry Motau SC, for the municipality, also argued that there was no proof that anyone had been harmed by the name changes,
He argued that AfriForum had “alarmingly and glaringly” failed to prove that it would suffer any harm at all, let alone irreparable harm.
MP van der Merwe, for AfriForum, said an interim interdict was not appealable.
“What can ever be harmful to restoring those well-known, respected names that had been there for decades? At least no one will be lost,” he said.
Van der Merwe said the city had only itself to blame if it had to spend over R2m to put the names back. – Sapa