“We are pleased with the reports that she is steadily recovering after undergoing reconstructive surgery,” said ANCWL spokeswoman Nosipho Ntwanambi.
“The rape of these children is not only disheartening, but a horrendous and inhumane act that should be condemned unrelentingly and consistently by all in society.”
The baby had been sleeping in bed with her parents when a man snatched and raped her on August 3, provincial police commissioner Arno Lamoer said at the time.
A seven-year-old boy in the same house was also raped.
Police took a 32-year-old man in for questioning, but he was released.
The African National Congress Women’s League urged the police to use all their resources to arrest the man responsible for the crimes.
Ntwanambi said the league would continue organising protests calling for men who committed sexual offences to be removed from society. – Sapa