Mandela discharged

madiba4Former President Nelson Mandela has been discharged from his three-month admission at Pretoria’s Mediclinic hospital.

The 95-year-old returned to his Houghton home on Sunday morning, where he continues to receive intensive care.

In a statement by the Presidency, they confirmed that his condition remains “critical, and at times unstable.”

He was escourted to his home by medical staff after his long stay which began on June 8, to treat a recurring lung infection.

The international icon celebrated his 95th birthday in hospital on July 18, while the worlds’ media camped outside the medical complex.

Tributes for his recovery came in from around the world.

Well-wishers left poems, paintings, flags and floral bouquets outside the Pretoria hospital and his Houghton home.

In a statement this morning, the Presidency said: “We would like to wish him all the best as he continues his recovery at his Johannesburg home.”

“If there are other health conditions that will warrant another hospital admission, we would do so,” added Presidency spokesperson Mac Maharaj.

Maharaj added that his resident has been “reconfigured to all him to receive intensive care there.”

South Africans have been urged to keep praying for him, and to respect Madiba and his family’s private space.

Madiba’s grandson, Mandla, said his discharge was “particularly heartening because it flies in the face of those who have been busy spreading lies that he was in a ‘vegetative state’ and just waiting for his support machines to be switched off”.

He added these kind of people had been “in effect declaring him dead while he was fully alive”.